WHY IS FIRE DAMPER TESTING SO IMPORTANT
Fire dampers are a fundamental fire protection product that helps to prevent the quick spread of fire and smoke through the buildings ductwork which penetrate fire and smoke barriers.
They slow the progression of fire by shutting off a section of ductwork and preventing fire from spreading around the building allowing people sufficient time to evacuate a building safely during a building fire.
As with any fire protection solution, they need to be tested and maintained regularly in order to ensure that they will work and do their job effectively.
Poorly maintained fire dampers may seize and cease to work effectively when needed putting lives at risk.
WHAT DOES A FIRE DAMPER TEST COVER?
Fire damper maintenance & testing schedule
- A full inventory is created of all fire dampers and where they are located.
- Every fire damper is individually inspected for signs of damage, corrosion and obstructions.
- Each damper is physically drop tested to check the effectiveness, then reactivated.
- Runners and channels are cleaned.
- Recommendations for repairs or replacements are provided.
- A comprehensive report is produced and signed off by one of our experts outlining all the relevant details above.
Should you have a fire in your ductwork you must be able to prove you have identified all dampers and had them annually tested and inspected in line with the BS9999 Standard.